Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Myths of being a B&B landlady

"I’m often asked what sort of person you need to be to run a B&B so here are B&B myths dispelled:

1. Do I have to like cleaning?
It helps but I hate cleaning and I get by. A B&B has to be immaculate. If you're not a natural cleaner you can buy in help (not always that easy when you live 20 miles from your nearest neighbour in the wilds of Scotland)

2. Do I have to be able to cook?
Well yes really. Guests going to a British B&B will expect a full welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Shropshire, English, whatever breakfast. If you can't do it now you can learn and practise practise practise.

3. I'm not an early riser?
Lordy - neither am I. I'd happily stay in bed till 10 every morning. But it is part of the deal. I don't serve breakfast till 8.30 ( I did have 5 blokes staying for a rally one weekend who needed to leave at 7.30 and wanted the full English - though I'm sure baked beans was a bad move when you were crammed all day in a tiny rally car. "But they said that'll be ok cos you probably get up at that time anyway doing you?" NO! )

4. I'm not a very sociable type of person
Sorry - deal breaker. You have to like and get on with everyone for this job. You need to know when people want to chat and when they want to be left alone. You need to be able to facilitate total strangers over the breakfast table. Even when you're suffering PMT, the cat has died and your husband has left you"

No comments: